The membership of the Tana Forum Board is comprised of 11 eminent African personalities who have demonstrated leadership, inspiration and experience in their fields of endeavour. The board members are also widely represented based on region, gender, generation and sector. The Board provides strategic oversight and decides on the theme of each year, the Forum agenda and on the participation by different stakeholders.
Given its key role, it is important that the Board be technically and politically sound to ensure a holistic and integrated leadership of the Tana Forum. In this regard, a number of members have practical experience in addressing peace and security issues. Their knowledge of conflict resolution and post-conflict reconstruction at national or regional levels, the board members are able to steer the Forum in the right direction through their African and global networks.
The current Tana Board Chairperson is H.E. John Dramani Mahama, former President of the Republic of Ghana.
The following individuals have been appointed as new board members and will serve for a once renewable three-year term (2019-2022):
- H.E. Hailemariam Desalegn, former Prime Minister, Federal Democratic Republic of Ethiopia
- H.E. Catherine Samba-Panza, former President, Central African Republic
- H.E. Temesgen Tiruneh, Director General, Information Network Security Agency (INSA) and National Security Advisor to the Prime Minister, Federal Democratic Republic of Ethiopia
- H.E. Hirut Zemene, State Minister for Foreign Affairs, Federal Democratic Republic of Ethiopia
- Dr. Lassina Zerbo, Executive Secretary, Comprehensive Nuclear-Test-Ban Treaty Organization (CTBTO), Austria/Burkina Faso
- Prof. Patrick Loch Otieno (PLO) Lumumba, Associate Professor of Public Law, Kenya
- African Union representative (TBC)
Current members include:
- H.E. John Dramani Mahama, former President, Republic of Ghana (Chairperson)
- H.E. Dr. Joyce Banda, former President, Republic of Malawi
- Amb. Lakhdar Brahimi, former UN and Arab League Special Envoy to Syria, Algeria
- Amb. Soad M. Shalaby, Director General, Egyptian African Centre for Women (EACW)
- Mr. Alain Foka, Journalist, Radio France International, France/Cameroon
Click here to read their biographies.