7th Tana High-Level Forum on Security in Africa
The 7th Tana High-Level Forum on Security in Africa (Tana Forum 2018) took place once again, in the Northern Ethiopian city of Bahir Dar, from April 21-April 22, 2018.
Tana Forum 2018 was held on the theme “Ownership of Africa’s Peace and Security Provision: Financing and Reforming the African Union”.
The Forum explored the need for more powerful and effective A.U. institutions with the capacity to assume strong ownership on continental and global peace and security matters.
Some of the key highlights of the 2018 Tana Forum were:
- The attendance of the new Ethiopian Prime Minister, Dr Abiy Ahmed Ali. He pledged renewed support from the Ethiopian government to IPSS and the Tana Forum.
- Presence of Moussa Faki Mahamat, Chairperson of the African Union Commission and custodian of the current reform.
- Presence of Hailemariam Desalegn, former Prime Minister of Ethiopia, whoremarked that “you can continue to serve your country and Africa afterleaving high office”.
- The annual Meles Zenawi Lecture on leadership in Africa was delivered by Samia Nkrumah, a Ghanaian politician, paid an emotional tribute to the legacy of the Pan-Africanistand former President of Egypt, the late Gamal Abdel Nasser.
- The position of Tana Forum Chairperson was handed over from PresidentOlusegun Obasanjo to President John Dramani Mahama in a demonstration of how governance begins within our institutions.