Privacy and Cookies
Last updated: June 2018
1. Types of information collected on this site
Generally, you can browse these websites without submitting your personal information to us. However, in some circumstances, we will ask for your personal information.
1.1 Information you provide to us
When you are on the website and are asked for personal information, you are sharing that information only with IPSS/Tana Forum.
1.1.1 The information you provide to get updates from IPSS/Tana Forum:
When you register to use the websites – for example, subscribe to receive emails from us or apply to become a member – you provide us with the mandatory information about you like Name, country, telephone to receive email updates and email address. This information is provided by you through secure forms and is stored on secure servers.
1.1.2 The optional information you chose to give us as IPSS/Tana Forum member (with consent)
When you communicate with IPSS/Tana Forum, provide optional information through forms on the websites or use the site to communicate with other members, we collect information about your communication and any information you choose to provide.
1.1.3 Information you provide us through contact forms or when you directly communicate with us
When you communicate with us, we collect your communication and any other information you choose to provide us.
1.2 Information that is automatically collected (third party cookies)
In addition, when you interact with the Websites, our servers may keep an activity log that does not identify you individually (“Non-Personal Information”). Generally, we collect the following categories of Non-Personal Information:
- We may collect certain demographic data such as age and gender as part of collecting personal information;
- We collect and store certain device information about your computer, mobile device, or other device that you use to access the Websites. This information may include IP address, geolocation information, unique device identifiers, browser type, browser language, and other transactional information;
- We automatically log certain usage information about your use of the Websites. This information includes a reading history of the pages you view. We use this information to provide you with a more customized experience on the Website;
- We collect and store additional “traffic data” such as time of access, date of access, session identification number, access times, and referring website addresses; and
- We collect and store certain other information regarding our users’ use of the Websites so that third parties may provide us with reports and analysis regarding usage and browsing patterns of the Websites.
For more information about cookies, please see www.allaboutcookies.org
2. Use of information collected on this website
IPSS/Tana Forum uses the information we collect about you to:
- Help us with understanding more about how our sites is used, to make the site more useful, providing email updates; informing you about developments at IPSS/Tana Forum and/ or by our partners.
- Detect and prevent fraud, spam, abuse, security incidents, and other harmful activity.
- Conduct security investigations and risk assessments.
- Conduct checks against databases and other information sources, to the extent permitted by applicable laws.
- Resolve any disputes with any of our users and enforce our agreements with third parties.
3. Distribution of information
If you have subscribed to IPSS/Tana Forum e-newsletters or email updates or you have become a member, we will send you regular communications as specified in the relevant area of the websites. You are able to unsubscribe from any of the e-newsletters or email updates at any time by using the unsubscribe information provided in our emails.
4. Accessing, changing and removing information
The accuracy of your individual identifying information is important to IPSS/Tana Forum. We are always looking for ways to make it easier for you to review and correct the information that IPSS/Tana Forum maintains about you through our websites. If you change your email address, or if any of the other information we hold is inaccurate or out of date, please write to us here.
- Where you have provided IPSS/Tana Forum with consent to use your personal data, you can withdraw it any time by sending us a communication and specifying which consent you are withdrawing. Please note that the withdrawal of your consent does not affect the lawfulness of any processing activities based on such consent before its withdrawal.
- Where applicable, you may also have a right to receive a machine-readable copy of your personal data. If you would like to have a copy of the personal data we hold on you or if you think that we hold incorrect personal data about you, please write to us.
- You also have the right to ask us to delete your personal data or restrict how it is used. There may be exceptions to the right to erasure for specific legal reasons which, if applicable, we will set out for you in response to your request.
- At any time, regardless of applicable law, you may object to us processing your personal information for direct marketing purposes. You may, at any time, ask IPSS/Tana Forum to cease processing your data for these direct marketing purposes by Contacting Us.
5. Sharing information
Except as explained below, IPSS/Tana Forum will not disclose any of your personally identifiable information, and will not sell or rent lists containing your information to third parties. IPSS/Tana Forum may disclose information when it has your permission to do so or under special circumstances, such as when it believes in good faith that the law requires it.
6. Information security
We are continuously implementing and updating administrative and technical security measures to help protect your information against unauthorized access, loss, destruction, or alteration. Some of the safeguards we use to protect your information are firewalls and data encryption, and information access controls. If you know or have reason to believe that your IPSS/Tana Forum membership credentials have been lost, stolen, misappropriated, or otherwise compromised or in case of any actual or suspected unauthorized use of your IPSS/Tana Forum membership account, please contact us through on Contact Us.
7. Changes to this policy and contacting us
This policy may change from time to time. The changed policy will be posted on this website and Last updated date at the top of this page will be updated. There will be an email update sent to you for the revised policy and if you do not agree with the revised policy, you will have the option to cancel your registration(s) with us. You can also write to us here. We welcome your feedback!
Addis Ababa, Ethiopia 7 May 2019 – The eighth Tana Forum High-Level Forum on Security in Africa gathered over 200 participants to discuss the theme “Political Dynamics in the Horn of Africa: Nurturing the Emerging Peace Trends”. The two-day Forum attracted experts and...