This year’s Annual Book Launch selection is an apt read, “Africa First! Igniting A Growth Revolution” by Dr. Jakkie Cilliers. Authoritative and engaging, this work forecasts the future of the continent and what it needs to do to deliver on its stated objectives. Dr. Jakkie Cilliers is the Founder and former Executive Director of the Institute for Security Studies (ISS). He now serves as Chair of the ISS Board of Trustees and Heads the Africa Futures & Innovation (AFI) Programme.
This year’s book submissions were reviewed by a committee of experts from IPSS and other institutions.There were three books submitted in total this year. Each publication was evaluated based on the following criteria:
- Relevance of the book to peace, security governance and development in Africa;
- Contribution of the book to existing knowledge and the audience it serves;
- Originality of objectives, analysis and findings of the book;
- Quality of methods and information sources;
- Relevance and contribution of the book to policy/academic field;
- Structure, flow and language of the book; and
- The impetus of the book with regards to political controversy, review, research or policy.
Dr. Jakkie Cilliers will present his book virtually to an audience of African heads of state and government, decision-makers of the African Union (AU), United Nations (UN) and other international organizations, academia and members of the civil society attending the 9th Tana Forum on 19-24 October 2020.
Every year, as part of the Tana Forum, the Annual Book Launch gives a platform for both African and non-African authors to present their publication and engage the Forum’s audiences.
In 2019, the selected book was “Fighting for Peace in Somalia: A History and Analysis of the African Union Mission (AMISOM), 2007-2017” by Dr. Paul D. Williams.